Tuesday 31 January 2017

3WTM January 2017 Playlist

A monthly run down of what we've been listening to. Available on Apple and Spotify.

John's Selections:

Virgin Suicide – Virgin Suicide
A Danish band who have supported The Charlatans and have been The Guardian’s band of the week. They’ve got an indie guitar pop sound with an American west coast feel.

Public Display of Affection – EAT FAST
I can't find out much about this band but I don't think that matters. They've got an album out and seem to have their own sound and I like it.

The King And All Of His Men – Wolf Gang
I like discovering music in different ways and would happily use Shazam in a cinema if it wasn’t frowned upon. This song was used by the BBC on their football programme Final Score. Having found Pumpin Blood through the same programme, they clearly have good taste. I enjoyed finding this the other day and following it to find Lion In Cages, another quality song by the band. Sadly the London based band split in 2015.

Gonna Die Alone – Hanni El Khatib
What a cheery thought. I do like the song though. He’s been around since 2010 and this is a recent track released in 2016 from the San Francisco artist.

Silk – Wolf Alice
I hadn’t got Wolf Alice before. I’ve revisited their music on a couple of occasions because of recommendations but still I didn’t get them. Then I saw the Trainspotting 2 trailer. Music put to images, especially ones stirring up feelings of nostalgia, wow that’s a great thing in life. Wolf Alice I get you now.

Oh Mary – Kulashaker
This song has been on my Spotify for a while and it’s taken a while to grow on me. “Oh Mary what have you done?” You’ve given me a new track to enjoy by a band I used to love.


Satisfaction - The Bay Rays
As they supported The Slaves I'm guessing Neil's heard this band already but for those of you who haven't (including me before now) then this band are worth checking out. They're still touring if you want to catch up with them.

One Drop - Be Charlotte
19 years old and from Scotland. You can tell the later from the music and it works. You certainly wouldn't tell her age from the track. Some real talent right there.

Good Girls - Crystal Fighters
A band on their third album and they've finally come on my radar. I can't work out if I've just missed everything or they've finally broken through. A bit of both I guess. They sound like a dancey version of Vampire Weekend.

January 17 – Chris’s Choices
Drifting Apart – Goan Dogs – Drifting Apart (Single). Haunting, captivating and beautiful (despite the negative theme). I like this song so much that I dare not listen to the other two singles that Goan Dogs have released, if that makes sense.

Glue Bag Flags – Smoove & Turrell – Crown Posada. A great upbeat soul track.

Do You Have A Name – Glass Caves – Do You Have A Name (Single) – Pontefract based Alt-Rock with one album to their name.

Empty Promises – Mainland – Empty Promises (Single) – strong track which sounds very similar to Bloc Party’s Luna with vocals by the singer from The Walkmen – to my mind anyway.

Terribly So – Howe Gleb – Future Standards. I’m not sure how this crept into my weekly playlist from Apple. Think Leonard Cohen with a jazz/swing feel.

Diary – Weyes Blood – Front Row Seat To Earth. Clear female vocals over simple piano arpeggios start this atmospheric song off

Badguys – Christopher Paul Stelling – Badguys (Single). Great track with a quirky time signature

Pulling At The Grey – Young Romance – Another’s Blood.

Modern Contemporary – Rainbow Arabia – L.A. Heartbreak.

The Pact – Puppet Rebellion – The Pact (Single)

The State I’m In – Josephin Ohm + The Liberation – The State I’m In (Single)

No comments: