Tuesday 6 December 2011

Next year's thing?


So, the BBC's sounds of 2012 list was released yesterday. I don't understand these lists - they may as well call it the "here's some artists that we know will be releasing material in 2012" list. Conveniently all genres are covered and everyone's happy because there's someone on there that they can root for. Looking at this year's list (naturally) there's not a great deal I know much about. Friends (who I blogged about a few days ago) have made the list, and there's also Dry the River who I've heard of in passing, but the big name in indie guitar band circles is Spector. I became aware of these guys because I heard (incorrectly) that they were from Sheffield - I looked them up and found that they're actually from London. I walked past the stage that they were playing on at the recent Constellations festival in Leeds (on my way to seeing Marc Riley in the queue for a pasty) but didn't really take them in. Anyway, as they've made the list, I'm sure that means that there will be enough record company clout behind them to make sure that we hear more from them. If you don't know of their work, they are described as East London's answer to The Strokes (by the BBC), and this is what they sound like...

Spector - Grey Shirt and Tie by Luv Luv Luv

1 comment:

Schönberg said...

STOP PRESS! I've just found this great idea on Music Liberation.

http://musicliberation.blogspot.com/2011/12/blog-sound-of-2012.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+aspaceformusicliberation+%28Music+Liberation%29

I can vouch for Outfit, I saw them at Constellations although I seem to remember I left before they'd finished...