Tuesday 13 December 2011

Schönbys 2011 - Best International Act



The Schönbys are fictional, made-up awards for me to let you know what I've enjoyed listening to during 2011. Winners and nominations are drawn from music I have seen, heard or bought during the preceding 12 months.

The second award is Best International Act. Here's the measily list I had to choose from; gigs from Band of Horses, Warpaint, Phosphorescent and Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, albums from White Denim, The Strokes, Foo Fighters and Airborne Toxic Event, singles from Beastie Boys and Friends.

I must admit that I've been fairly non-plussed by the overseas showing this year, especially as looking at the list above, they're all from the good ole U S of A. However, I have been mightily impressed with The White Denim album from this year (D) which may possibly get a mention in another award category, but the biggest success from the United States this year has got to be the re-awakening of The Strokes.

Angles has got to be one of the best returns from hibernation ever. Apparently, the band recorded the album in 2009, but didn't get round to releasing it until 2011 after disagreements over the album's readiness. Amazingly, until the release of the album and the subsequent tour, it had been 5 years since the band had taken to the stage together. Anyway the album, for me, is classic Strokes.

The Strokes - Machu Picchu by UKPlaylist

No comments: