Saturday 30 August 2008

What's Wrong With The Mainstream - August 08

I'm not going to let a deleted post stop me from posting my monthly playlist so I hope you appreciate this months as I dread to think about the number of hours it will have taken me by the time I finish. I think I said on the original post that there's a lot more dance music on this months playlist. In fact I know this because the old post still comes up on a google search but I can't get to the cached version to ressurect it! Anyway, on with the show...

A great new remix of Hey Boy, Hey Girl by the dudes at Soulwax.

MP3: Link removed

Following on, and keeping the Chemical Brothers theme going, Falling Down by Oasis remixed by The Chemical Brothers.

MP3: Link removed

Iglu and Hartly are getting quite a bit of airtime with their current song In This City, this is a freebie from the band.

MP3: Link removed

The Automatic have come back with a slightly harder sound as they have ditched the shouty (squeeky) guy and picked up another band member on the way. This is another freebie and is the title track from their new album.

MP3: Link removed

Keane are back and they've jumped on the '80s revival band wagon, they've even used guitars this time.

MP3: Link removed

Whitelies new single Death is out anytime now and this song is from them under their previous guise of Fear of Flying. I managed to buy the single from their old record label, I think there are some still available if you want to get your hands on a copy. It took a few listens for me to get in to it, if White Lies' album tracks are as good as this I'll be one happy bunny.

MP3: Link removed

Coldplay

It seems a lot of bands are realising that if they give away free tracks they have more control over which tracks are available. It certainly works on here as I include another free track from Coldplay who are to release a mini album from the left-overs from Vida...

MP3: Link removed

Missing The Killers? Well I thought I'd post one of the tracks off Sawdust, their b-side and rarities album. Enjoy.

MP3: Link removed

As The Rapture's songs work their way further up my most played list I find this song on the blog world. From what I can work out from this track, it's been around a while and never made it on to an album, it's currently on the GTA4 soundtrack. It's a pretty good track too, wish I had a friend called Ben who I could annoy by singing it to...

MP3: Link removed

It's taken computer game companies way too long to add decent soundtracks to games but now you find they're all at it. Following on from GTA, Fifa '09 will have a solid soundtrack included the fantastic The Whip and the quality track Muzzle #1. The album's pretty good too.

MP3: Link removed

Winning longest song title I've posted on my blog, The Legend of the Last of the Outlaw Truckers AKA The Ballad of Sheriff Shorty by The Dandy Warhols. A solid return with a new album, I don't know why but I'd kind of written The Dandy Warhols off. I stand corrected.

MP3: Link removed

I'm told everyone is going mad for Ra Ra Riot and their debut album (out now in all good and bad record shops) I can see why with this quality track. They're from New York if that makes a difference to you.

MP3: Link removed

Thanks to Schonberg for pointing this one out. Joy Division meets Interpol meets Editors. Happy stuff then...

MP3: Link removed

The Boxing Lesson sent me their new album to try out. Thanks, the more I hear this track the more I'm enjoying it. This song's a bit like Kings of Leon although some of the album sounds like Mansun. (Track takes a minute to get going, patience kids)

MP3: Link removed

Streets team up with Muse for a mess about as far as I can work out.

MP3: Link removed

Frieghtened Rabbit have produced Art's favourite album of '08 so far, well that's what he commented when I originally got this post up, I'm sure he still feels the same way.

MP3: Link removed

I think this is the most played song I've added to my iPod recently, I definitely recommend downloading it. That's all I'm going to say.

MP3: Link removed

I'm told this is a bit of an OTT track but I think it works, see what you think.

MP3: Link removed

The Moldy Peaches album came out ages ago but I bought it for a fiver after enjoying the soundtrack to Juno. I particularly like this tongue in cheek track.

MP3: Link removed

Lend me your face, I'll bust it up I'll replace it. What a nice senitment, I'm sure you'll agree. This track reminds me big time of Grandaddy despite the female singer. Bit of Ida Maria in there as well?

MP3: Link removed

No comments: