Monday 6 April 2009

The Virgins - Album Review



Finally The Virgins' album is out in the UK this month, one year and two months after first hearing Rich Girls, I'm glad I didn't have to wait until now to get it. At least it's given me a long time to listen to it and give you a review. I guess for me the big surprise was the 80's influence the album appears to have. Having heard the EP version of Rich Girls I was expecting a more The Strokes feel to it. Tracks such as Murder have real electronic feel to them where I was expecting a more bass feel I guess.

The other surprising thing is that it's short, coming in around the 30 minute mark, is this the sign of an album from the digital age. Brit Pop saw bands trying to eek out every bit of space on a CD, now bands seem to be trying to fit their albums in to the size of an average fan's concentration span.

The stand out tracks for me are Rich Girls, Private Affair and Love Is Colder Than Death. Enough quality in there for it to be worth buying. But for me it's a shame, this album could have been amazing but they lost the way somewhere. Having said that I'm still really excited to have tickets to go and see them next week.

Oh and I believe Rich Girls is out today, if you've not got it in your collection go get it now, it's easily one of the best songs of 2008.

MP3: Love Is Colder Than Death - The Virgins

No comments: