Sunday 25 January 2009

Album Review: White lies - To Lose My Life


It's been a while since we've had an album review on What's Wrong With The Mainstream and what better way to kick off the new year than with White Lies. I have to take my hat off to the record companies as they often give us a big album release in January to look forward to (Arctic Monkeys first album springs to mind).

I think the White Lies album is everything I expected and hoped for. Yes they seemed to be death obsessed and they wear black but actually their music isn't actually as depressing as you might imagine. In fact it can be quite up lifting. I'm not saying it's the type of music you want to listen to while you're working in the gym (I tried running to it but did a rubbish time) but it can be quite euphoric despite what they are talking about.

I think what I like about the band is that really try to tell a story, try to portray something with their songs so that after the fiftieth time of listening to a track you can still get something from it. I was taught during my sales training that you should make your potential customers picture themselves using your product. That way they can see themselves dealing with your organisation. I think White Lies draw you in to their music in the same way, not just through their lyrics but the videos, the packaging, everything. I like it. Well I do up to a point, I just wonder how much of it is genuine and how much of it is manufactured. I think some of it is very genuine, the fact that they used to be called Fear of Flying and in Death they talk about the fear of flying suggests it is genuine.

I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating and when it comes down to it the album has quality tracks running right through it. My favourite tracks at the moment are Unfinished Business, Death and From The Stars but I'm sure that will change as I hear the other tracks more. I was never in to a lot of the 80s bands they've been compared to so I'm not going to comment on that, just go out and buy it and find out for yourself.

MP3: Unfinished Business - White Lies

MP3: From The Stars - White Lies

(Both tracks have been made available for free in one way or another by the band)

These tracks have now been taken down as this is the second time this has been posted. Thanks to Sid who gave me the nudge to get it back up

No comments: