Thursday 25 June 2009

Dan Black stopped in his track(s)

Dan Black is finally releasing the song we all know and love, HYPNTZ, or is he? Well kind of. With Dan Black all set to release his debut album with star of the album HYPNTZ playing centre stage. Sampling 2007's massive hit Umbrella's drums, Starman soundtrack's strings and Notorious B.I.G.'s lyrics it was all over the blogs last year and earned Dan Black the Sound of 2009 tag. Yet at the last minute it turns out Mr B.I.G. could still be notorious when dead as his estate put the kibosh on the release. Having to write his own lyrics Black came up with "Lost the track, struggled back" and HYPNTZ has become Symphonies.

Having listened to the original so many times, like A LOT of times, I'm finding it hard to get used to the new version. I'm still loving his first version but see what you think...




3 comments:

mjrc said...

hmmm. that really sucks--that he can't release it in it's original form, that is. now i have to go compare and contrast hypntz with symphonies!

Unknown said...

I do like the original, a bit more than the new one one first listen...

BTW - The Music and 'Too High' for running music? (From a non-runner...)

John L said...

I agree MJRC, I think it could have stopped Dan Blacks career if he hadn't come up with new lyrics.

Thanks for the recommendation DB but the track's too slow to start off with. It's great from the 3 min mark onwards. I guess if it was your first track that got you going it would be alright - I currently use Sunrise by Pulp for that.