Sunday 14 June 2009

New Discoveries Part 1 - DeVotchka

Friends of Arcade Fire and sounding like a mix between Cloud Cult and Gogol Bordello, DeVotchka are a new band to me. You've probably heard their music already as it's been used in the advert for Gears of War and in the sound track to Little Miss Sunshine (no it's not the music she dances to at the end).

They use all sorts of instruments including, but not limited to, guitars, piano, trumpet, theremin, bouzouki, violin, accordion, melodica, sousaphone, double bass and trumpet. As you can imagine from a list like that the sound they have created is original and huge. Any band that mixes strings with guitars automatically gets a listen from me. I've posted Transliterator of thier most recent album but it is track How It Ends that really got my attention (the one used on Gears of War) but I had to purchase that as a download, I suggest you do the same.

I was tipped off about this band by new friend of the blog Amy, who has given me a list of bands (at my request) that I should check out. Expect more from her list as I work through it. If you think there's a band or artist we should be covering drop us a line to whatswrongwiththemainstream@googlemail.com

No comments: