Sunday 8 March 2009

The Airborne Toxic Event - Album Review



I know I'm a bit slow with this review but I've been mulling over what to say for a while. As some of you might have read what I had to say about Sometime Around Midnight in January's playlist I wanted to say something that added to that. I pointed to the similarities with U2 yet actually the rest of the songs are (thankfully) quite far from that. With a voice a bit reminiscent of The National, Get Well Soon and Absentee the album is stronger than I expected.

I think they've achieved an indie-rock sound that the above bands have shown in flashes but not carried all the way through an album before. I know, occasional contributor to this blog, Schonberg was worried it was going to have a Nickelback feel to it but thankfully that's not the case. The songs are upbeat and anthemic (is that a word?) at times without boiling over in to Kid Rock / Nickelback territory.

When I was searching to see what songs people were posting from the band I came across this interesting post on a blog:

What I found interesting was that despite giving the band a slating this blog was still posting their tour dates. Why bother? Are they trying to make amends with the band?

Anyway back to the album review, I have listened to this album many times already and am yet to find a song a skip. A rare thing in today's playlist, not album, culture.

Enjoy this, the opening track from the album, which the band are giving away free to promote themselves through the SXSW web site.

MP3: Wishing Well - The Airborne Toxic Event

Post taken down, go here http://2008.sxsw.com/music/showcases/band/1419.html where the band are giving the exact same song away for free...

No comments: