Monday 9 March 2009

What the World was waiting for



So, the Rakes release the first single from their eagerly-awaited (well, awaited) third album ‘Klang’ next week, and that single has been chosen to be the rather excellent ‘1989’. I’ve listened to the lyrics, and as far as I can gather (but be sure to put me right if I’m wrong) the song sums up the hedonistic post-communism atmosphere in Eastern European capitals after Glasnost and the fall of the USSR. You can imagine the song being set in Wenceslas Square in Prague, or somewhere in Bratislava or Budapest. Come to think of it, it's probably set in Berlin when the wall came down. That would make sense, with the song being called '1989' and all. Anyway, the title got me thinking back to what I was doing 20 years ago, hence this rather nostalgic mini-playlist. If you were there, let me have your memories and comments. If you weren’t, then let me know how the ‘indie’ music of the time compares with today’s. Happy listening – Schönberg.

No comments: